Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Jan Rae's Online Love Story

Let me tell you a love story.

Last year, I met someone. It wasn't one of the most exciting meet-up youd probably imagine but its quite interesting how we came to be. And so, here is what my #MakeItSafePH story began.

You see, I was in a really bad place in the relationship department last 2016 so I downloaded an app called WeChat. While some of you might be familiar of how that works, its as simple as a the most loved facebook messenger, but more private. 

I met some people there and got invited to an island getaway. You know how crazy I can be when it comes to going on an adventure.

Moving three notches up, I met a friend named Bert. He is very gentle and sweet and outspoken and what you might probably call a gentle giant. But my story did not end there. One random day, he asked me if Im interested to “meet new friends. I said yes. He gave a name and I added it up on Facebook.




It was an unusual thing for me to get hooked talking to people online especially with my busy line of work. In a deeper level of chatting, I got really drawn into it. I came to know who he is, his aspirations, and the struggles he's been to. Not to mention the weird humor we both have. We were constantly communicating for three months with topics you might not really find the "dating" kind. Physics, astronomy, divination and some weird sexual positions you could ever imagine. Imagine the imagination I forced myself to have just to sustain the conversation. He works abroad and i'm here trapped in my mobile phone waiting for that simple "hi" to jump start the evening. Three months later, he came home to the Philippines and we met for the very first time. Awkward at first, but very comfortable. I'll skip the drama part and how we came to be, but things worked out really well. He is sweet, very humble and knows how to control my temper. We have been dating for a year and a half now and so far, i'm happy.



My story couldve ended differently if I had met the wrong people. I never believed in online dating after hearing horror stories from friends and some posts online. Frankly, I don't normally share the very personal side of me but when I came across this #MakeItSafePH , I knew I had an interesting story to tell. Some people may not be as fortunate as I have been and would come across online monsters and get really nasty. So just a little tip, be careful.

Globe Telecom takes it upon itself to ensure that the society as a whole remains safe from numerous threats facing everyone using the  internet. This concern gave birth to the #makeITsafePH campaign under its CyberPinoy cyber wellness program. The campaign covers all stakeholders such as big corporations, small and medium-scale enterprises,  government agencies, colleges and universities, and the general public.

And so this is my story. What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus Shortname

Comments system